Monday, 13 March 2017

Smashing camera shyness in Cambridge.

If any of you know me or follow my social media adventures, you may or may not have noticed that you won't often find a full, face on, headshot of me ANYWHERE! I know lots of people dislike having their photo taken and I'm no exception but when you run a small business and get the opportunity to take part in blog interviews, Instagram challenges, and even magazine features it quickly becomes apparent that people need/want/like to see the face behind it all.

So far, I think I've found a way around this by using shots of me at craft fairs or events but I'm usually behind a stall, pulling a silly face, throwing shapes or just a bit too far off to make out more than a cheesy grin - which all works fine by me but isn't necessarily good enough as a headshot that lovely magazine owner may be asking for.


When Lucy, (all round lovely, local Cambridge creative and owner of Lucinda Price photography), approached Claire and I about doing a headshot style photoshoot together I was a tad nervous about saying yes. However, I bloody love Claire and Lucy so the idea of being able to help Lucy out and spend the day wandering around Cambridge with them was too fun to miss out on so I ignored the 'I-hate-my-face' gremlins and jumped in!

The idea was to capture some individual head shots (professional but fun) as well as some snaps as besties (super duper fun) whilst exploring Cambridge via the walk Lucy usually takes her clients on. It was pretty tough pretending to be besties with Claire, I mean, it's not like we spend every day talking or love hanging out, eating pizza and chatting about cats all the time! So we had to  work hard to make it look genuine... obviously this is a silly joke as I LOVE Claire to pieces and like I said before, it was a lovely excuse to hang out.


Together, with our bikes we explored the famous sights and back streets of Cambridge, from Senate House and Kings College to Portugal Place and Midsummer Common. Stopping for relaxed photos, cheesy grins and action bike shots (with some silly boomerangs too) we had the nicest time and after the first few awkward snaps of my face I began to relax and almost forget there was a camera there!



Lucy made us feel so calm and comfortable, combined with stunning views of my new(ish) hometown and giggles a plenty, I spent the perfect afternoon in front of a camera. Say what?!? I never thought I'd say that, but it just goes to show you how good a photographer and how lovely a person Lucy is! Doing something like this with a bestie is honestly, the perfect way to overcome camera shyness, get some photos of you together (rather than those filtered iPhone selfies we're all so pro at) AND also get some damn good quality head shots to use for your business!


You'll have seen some of my absolute faves from the afternoon pop up on my social media accounts already (Instagram & Facebook especially) but I wanted to write about the day here because it was fun, it was SO valuable and I'm just over the moon with the outcome of doing something I would normally avoid.


If you need any more convincing about the fun of it all, you can have a read of Claire's lovely blog post over at claireabellemakes.com AND if you're interested in working with Lucy yourself she is running a promotion right now, YAY! So you can get 25% off a session with the code SUNSHINE17, DOUBLE YAY!

I hope this post is valuable to you if you feel uncomfortable in front of camera but also need head shots - for business or pleasure. I wanted to tell you that's it's not all scary or cringeworthy if you find the perfect photographer and can make a fun day of it with your mates. The fact that Lucy offers this as a service and has experience with fellow small business owners, makes it the perfect solution if you ask me.


Pop over to Lucy's shiny new site at Lucinda Price Photography to see her lovely portfolio and check out the services she offers. Oh and don't forget Lucy's offer (save 25% with code SUNSHINE17) if you want to save some pennies. If you have any questions or comments about the day please feel free to get in touch - my peanut butter jumper was from RAD - most frequently asked Q so far!

HAPPY MONDAY & HAPPY SNAPPING!

☀︎

No comments:

Post a Comment