Monday, 23 December 2013

December’s New Place and New Food. The final update!

I promised to be back to update you all with my last ‘New Place’ and ‘New Food’ update of 2013 and here I am! I’m still a little taken aback by how fast this bloomin’ year has flown by but I’m told that’s a sign of getting old so maybe I should keep that on the down low from now on...

Anywho, without further ado, I am here to share Decembers New Place and New Food with you, which completes a whole years worth of eating and exploring funtimes which I promised to document back in January.

Bath is a beautiful beautiful city and I was lucky enough to be able to go this year to sample the Christmas Markets, festive atmosphere and a local little Gin and Wine bar (there's always time for Gin). The weekend was full of the smell of Christmas foods, the taste of mulled wine and the sound of carols and festive music. I loved it!




The only thing I would have liked to do more of is exploring the wonderful buildings and city itself and to soak up more of the stunning architecture. That, of course is not a problem though as I am already planning another trip back there in the Spring/Summer time to visit the Roman Baths and explore the city some more! YAY!

Now onto the food... more specifically one of my favourite kinds of food... CHEESE! I bloody love cheese, this will come as no surprise to anyone reading this who knows me personally but being a savoury person it's a food I feel mighty strongly about and December's new food is a new kind of cheese *happy dance*

I think I could probably try a new cheese every month next year and still not even scratch the surface when it comes to sampling every kind of cheese there is (maybe that should be one of my goal for 2014 actually!) but this new cheese is rather special as it originates from Colwick in Nottinghamshire. Yup, Decembers new food is Colwick Cheese and it's bloody amazing!


Here are some facts about Colwick Cheese for you...


Colwick cheese was invented in the 1650s in what was then Colwick village

It is a light cream cheese

It was made in dairies and in homes

It has traditionally been eaten as both a savoury and a sweet snack and was served with jam and fruit and even cucumbers - it is bowl shaped to allow you to place such delights on top of the cheese.

The production of the cheese died out because it has a relatively short shelf-life and health and safety regulations made it costly to produce. It was last commercially produced in 1993 - 20 years ago!

The revived cheese is made with pasteurised milk, which increases the shelf-life and was launched at Melton Mowbray's Artisan Cheese festival in May 2011.

Milk from rare-breed red poll cattle is used, which ensures more cheese per litre of milk


So now you know about the lovely Colwick Cheese, I reccomend you head out on the hunt to buy some. It's a beautifully light and creamy cheese, not too disimilar to Cottage Cheese but so much nicer and goes down a treat with homemade chutney! As you can see from my snap below... my cheeseboard was a VERY happy place!


So, that's it. My new places and my new foods complete for 2013. I hope you've enjoyed following my mini adventures as much as I've enjoyed planning, doing, and documenting them all. Persoanlly I find it a great way to capture some awesome memories and I LOVE looking back on how I've spent parts of the year.

Life is so short and so many wonderful things happen (not just food or adventure based) and I whole heartedly believe in making the most of every day. So whether it's a cheeky instagram snap of a meal I've enjoyed eating or making or if it's a quick blog post about a new place I've visited or time spent doing something I've enjoyed it makes me smile when I look back.

Will you do something similar in the New Year? I can't wait to see what 2014 has to offer, all that's left is to enjoy it and think of new ways to creativily capture more adventures!

No comments:

Post a Comment